Avoiding Syntax Errors in Scientific Writing (Word Choice)
This slide presents six tips for using words economically to produce readable article. In general, the slide was developed using Yang’s An outline of scientific writing: for researchers with English as a foreign language, pp. 3-9. Feel free to access and download the slide from here.
After studying the slide and the text (Yang’s An outline of scientific writing: for researchers with English as a foreign language, pp. 3-9), revise each of the following eight sentences to make them more effective. Feel free to use one or more tips described in the slide and text. Write down only the revised version on the reply section below.
- This study was conducted in order to get empirical true informational data that has relationship with the effect of reading comics to the achievements of students in vocabulary learning.
- Even though she had been guided a numerous number of times to carry out some classroom action researches, she still did not have enough confidence to conduct a classroom action research individually.
- Very completely different from the conventional vision of teachers which views teachers as the receiver, consumer, and dispenser of other people’s knowledge has been challenged over the last decade by the growing acknowledgement of the need for the empowerment of teachers through researching their own practice.
- Since she believed that English teaching would be a very interesting profession which is accepted in all countries in the world, she continuously kept doing her best to finish the English teaching undergraduate program.
- Beginning from the early beginning of the last century, educational pundits and philosophers have proposed that educational professionals should research their own practices and use the findings of these researches of theirs to create improvements in their own practices.
- The distribution of the data obtained from the survey concerning the respondents’ perception in the blog’s effectiveness to develop writing skills revealed that the majority of them i.e. 79%, believe that blog is very effective to use to develop writing skills.
- Based on the findings, it was concluded that, as a matter of fact, people who fail to have success in their careers frequently give up too easily and are not tenacious in sticking to their goals.
- In spite of the fact that researches on the use of mother tongue in foreign language classrooms have increased dramatically in more and more places in the world, in Indonesian public schools, there has been very little attention that has given specifically to this issue, and only few studies have been carried out in this archipelago country to investigate the role of Indonesia in English classes.
Deadline for posting answer: Saturday, April 5, 2014, 12:00 pm. Good luck!